Friday 1 September 2023

AT 156 - 31st August [145.6]

 








Pleasant Pond Lean to


Got up early and packed up and headed to Tim for a 10 pancake breakfast with egg and sausage and OJ. I got 2 extra from a section hiker. Headed for ferry that starts at 9am. When I say ferry, it’s a canoe!!! It takes you over the Kennebec river. Got to Caratunk Road intersection and there was High Route waiting for me. He took a zero so we could hike the rest together. I missed him and his swearing!!! Did a short day to get to the Pond for a swim. There are lots of houses and boats on the pond/lake so it takes away from the wildness but there was a sandy beach and lovely water. 



Observation


Rain or shine. 


As I walked yesterday in the lashing rain I thought of the easy and hard. I think the rainy day makes the sunny day even better. The cold winter makes the summer even more summery. The hard day at work makes the good day better. 

On the spiritual side, does the trial make the mountain top even better ? Do the tears make the laughter even better ? Does the mundane make the exceptional more exceptional ? 


Maybe that’s why I like the rainy days on trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AT postscript

Hospital  Stopping walking was the hardest part of the AT. I had over a week with Matt and Mandy before heading home. My body reacted to sto...